Here is a sample of some of the studies that are in progress
Studies headed by Dr. Kerry Courneya
Student and Staff-led studies
- Physical activity in Nova Scotian breast, prostate and colorectal cancer survivors
- A Study of Health in Gynecologic Cancer Survivors
- Feasibility and efficacy of aerobic exercise in rectal cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy
- Effects of resistance training frequency on muscular strength and physical functioning in prostate cancer survivors trial
Exercise for Health Guidebook
Download Stride to Survive: An Exercise Guide for Young Adult Cancer Survivors© in PDF format.
Download Exercise for Health: An Exercise Guide for Breast Cancer Survivors© in PDF format.
- Researchers and practitioners wishing to use this guidebook for research or practice-related purposes, please contact Dr. Kerry Courneya; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members of the public: There is no need to contact Dr. Courneya if you are downloading the book for your personal use.
For research related to this guidebook, please see the following references:
- Vallance, J.K., Courneya, K.S., Taylor, L.M., Plotnikoff, R.C., & Mackey, J.R. (2008) Development and evaluation of a theory-based physical activity guidebook for breast cancer survivors. Health Education & Behavior, 35, 174-189
- Vallance, J.K., Courneya, K.S., Plotnikoff, R.C., Yasui, Y., & Mackey, J.R. (2007). Randomized controlled trial of the effects of print materials and step pedometers on physical activity and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 25, 2352-2359.
- Vallance, J.K., Courneya, K.S., Plotnikoff, R.C., & Mackey, J.R. (2008) Analyzing theoretical mechanisms of physical activity behavior change in breast cancer survivors: Results from the activity promotion (ACTION) trial. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 35, 150-158
- Vallance, J.K., Courneya, K.S., Plotnikoff, R.C., Dinu, I., & Mackey, J.R. (2008) Maintenance of physical activity in breast cancer survivors after a randomized trial. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 40, 173-180
- Vallance, J.K., Plotnikoff, R.C., Karvinen, K.H., Mackey J.R. & Courneya K.S. (2010). Understanding physical activity maintenance in breast cancer survivors. American Journal of Health Behavior, 34, 225-236